Undiscovered beauties in the Euganean Hills
The territory of the Euganean Hills is not officially recognized as a World Heritage Site this is by far something incomprehensible because of its universal beauty and historical relevance which attracts everyone in the world on an annual basis.
By "court" the Benedictine system meant the most important building in its territorial subdivision: each gastaldia, in fact, had its own courtyard which included the church, the steward's house, the stables and the bottom of a large cellar. Given the splendid position, the Benedictines also assigned this place as a hospice for elderly monks operating in the city and as a holiday home.
Bishop Gregorio Barbarigo would have stayed here during his pastoral visits to Bastia and Rovolon and will surely have admired the enchanting hilly landscape from the splendid Renaissance loggia overlooking the west side of the building.
"Monk is the one who looks only to God, desires only God, dedicates himself only to God, chooses to serve only God and, living in peace with God, becomes the author of peace for others"
"Everyone in the community should keep the place due to him according to the date of his entry or the exemplarity of his conduct or the will of the abbot. ... So the monks succeed each other in the kiss of peace and in communion, in intoning the psalms and in the places in the choir, according to the order established by the abbot or due to them. And on no occasion does age constitute a distinctive or prejudicial criterion for establishing places, because Samuel and Daniel, when they were still children, judged the elderly. " (RB, 63)
The Abbey experienced a flourishing period in the following centuries, up to the Napoleonic suppression of 1810. In 1834, thanks to the support of the Austrian government, the monks returned to the monastery.
The resumption of Benedictine life in Praglia, however, was short-lived since on 4 June 1867 the law was passed in Veneto which again suppressed all religious corporations.
The community was thus dissolved a second time. Most of it found refuge in the monastery of Daila (Istria), then in Austrian territory and in Praglia only two or three monks remained, as custodians of the monastery.
On April 26, 1904, the first two monks returned to the monastery and on the following October 23 the life of the Abbey was able to resume regularly, continuing to this day.