Follina Village the masterpiece between the mountains
“It's strange so far no one has reviewed this place .. it is an abbey monastery that has very ancient roots, the visit of the abbey and the town of Follina leave you fascinated by the wealth of interesting places
The territory is really very beautiful, hills and green valleys that fill eyes and heart ...”
“Enchanting, wonderful place of high historical value!”
The first mention of the abbey was found in a document dated 1127, certifying the sale by the abbot Bernardo di Follina. The parchment was transcribed in the 17th century and the copy is now preserved in the municipal library of Treviso. The facade is one of the best examples of Cistercian Gothic in the Veneto. The salient structure is underlined by slender pilasters and gray stone profiles that stand out on the white plastered backgrounds. The holes are also surrounded by gray stone with simple geometric decorations. Three architrave portals, inserted in slightly protruding round arches, give access to the aisles. The light enters through four Gothic lance windows, one at each side aisle, two larger in the central one, and two rose windows, one of a larger radius in the Gothic style, the other, simpler, just below the hanging arches which conclude the central span upwards.
The interior with three naves, with a trussed roof, is divided into five bays by large pointed arches resting on simple columns with crochet capitals. In the central nave above the slender capitals pilasters increase the sense of verticality. On the transept there are three square apses. Simple frescoed bands with floral motifs and evangelical figures decorate the classroom. Of greater interest is the fresco by Francesco da Milano depicting a Madonna and Child between two saints and client (1527), a valuable wooden Crucifix of the Baroque age, the fresco of the early 15th century, very deteriorated, with “San Tommaso D’Aquina”. The sandstone statue of the Madonna del Sacro Calice, inserted in a large wooden neo-Gothic altarpiece (1921), a copy of the original present in the church of San Zaccaria in Venice, has been an object of veneration and pilgrimage since time immemorial. The bell tower, square in Romanesque style, the oldest artifact of the architectural complex of the abbey, stands at the intersection of the central nave with the right transept.
A plaque shows, in elegant Gothic characters, the date and names of the builders of the cloister (the monks Arnaldo and Andrea and the magistros - master builders - Zardino and Armano) which overlook the most important rooms of the abbey: Sala del Capitolo, Refettorio, Library, Parlor. In the center the traditional fountain with monolithic basin. The arches are supported by single, ophthalmic, binary columns and, at the corners, in bundles of four. The stems are different (twisted, smooth, smooth, wavy, papyrus or with lotus flower decoration) and capitals (geometric, naturalistic, symbolic). the so-called Chiostrino dell'Abate, an arcaded wing with two facades entirely covered by an arched loggia on columns (1535) are Architecturally interesting.